Nearly half a million truck accidents occur across the United States every year. A trucking accident can be one of the most frightening events in your life. The results of a heavy-duty truck colliding with a passenger vehicle can be devastating. If you or someone in your family has suffered serious injuries in a trucking accident in Boca Raton, Florida, you are entitled to claim compensation from the responsible party. The problem with a trucking accident is there can be more than one responsible party for the accident. Hence, you need to prove the negligence of the at-fault party in order to claim maximum compensation for your injuries.
Steinberg Law is your trusted partner in Boca Raton when it comes to handling all types of personal injury lawsuits including truck accident claims. Our car accident lawyers have represented hundreds of trucking accident cases over the years and won millions of od dollars in compensation on their behalf. We have the necessary knowledge, experience, expertise, and negotiation skills to take your case to court if the insurance company tries to deny your claim. Call Steinberg Law in Boca Raton today at 877-783-4611 to discuss your legal options and obtain the maximum compensation for your injuries.
Truck Accident Statistics In Florida
According to Florida’s Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles report of 2017, there were over 32,000 accidents involving truck drivers. In these 32,000 accidents, there were 27 fatalities, 57 incapacitating injuries, and 1,053 individuals suffering other injuries. The most affected in truck accidents are passenger vehicle occupants.
What Should You Do After A Truck Accident?
Semi and 18-wheeler trucking accidents are extremely common in Florida. In fact, even a pickup truck can do lots of damage when it collides with a passenger vehicle. You should protect yourself physically and legally soon after a devastating trucking accident in Boca Raton, FL. Many victims forget what they should do soon after a trucking accident. Here are some of the most important steps to take after a truck accident in Boca Raton, FL:
Calling the police and reporting the accident is important. You should get a copy of the police report to prove who was responsible for the incident.
Seek medical help
Many victims don’t seek immediate medical help if they are not seriously injured as a result of the accident. The insurance company can deny your claim stating that your injuries were from another accident and not this specific incident. Hence, you should seek medical help even when you are not seriously injured after the accident. Keep all medical records to prove your claim when filing your truck accident lawsuit.
Get details of the other party’s license, insurance, and contact numbers and give them your information.
Document the scene and speak with eyewitnesses
This step isn’t to be missed if you are in a position to take action. Documenting the scene and taking photos or videos of it helps you when you are filing the case. Your lawyer will need to know what actually happened at the scene. Photos and videos can help your lawyer prove the negligence of the other party.
Contact an attorney
This is one of the most important steps in a truck accident in Boca Raton. Consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer at Steinberg Law. We have the necessary expertise and skills to handle your claim and obtain maximum compensation for your injuries.
Important Laws Regarding Truck Accident Liability In Florida
Florida is a comparative fault state where any negligence by the victim will be taken into account when proving a truck crash claim. For example, if you were 20% responsible for causing the accident and the truck driver 80%, you can claim up to 80% of the total compensation awarded by the judge or jury.
How Can A Truck Accident Lawyer Help?
An experienced truck accident lawyer at Steinberg Law can help you claim maximum compensation from the at-fault party in many ways including:
- Evaluating your case and advising whether you have a valid claim. We will interview eyewitnesses and build a strong case on your behalf.
- We are experts at negotiating with insurance companies on behalf of our clients. Insurance companies will always try to pay out the minimum amount of compensation or deny your claim altogether if there is the slightest doubt. You need an experienced personal injury lawyer with excellent negotiation skills to obtain the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries.
- In case the insurance company tries to pay out the minimum amount of compensation or denies your claim for whatever reason, we are prepared to take your case to trial. We have the necessary expertise to do so and win your claim.
What Types Of Compensation Can I Receive In Florida?
There are different types of monetary compensation available for truck accident victims in Florida. Settlements will be divided into economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages can be easily evaluated and assigned a dollar amount while non-economic damages can be difficult to assign a particular dollar amount. Economic damages may include property damage, lost wages, medical bills (past and future), funeral or burial costs, and lost earning capacity.
Non-economic damages are hard to quantify and may include mental anguish, emotional distress, and pain & suffering. Florida courts award punitive damages in some cases. In fact, punitive damages are not meant to compensate the victim but to punish the responsible driver and deter other drivers from behaving recklessly.
What Is The Value Of My Truck Accident Claim?
Filing a complex case like a truck accident claim on your own isn’t the best thing to do. Proving negligence in a truck accident is best left to an experienced professional. That’s why you need to hire the best truck accident lawyer in Boca Raton, FL, to prove the negligence of the other party and obtain maximum compensation for your injuries. Personal injury law firms are plentiful in Boca Raton. But all of them are not created equal. Your research is crucial to selecting the best personal injury lawyer in town to appear on your behalf.
An experienced personal injury lawyer needs to evaluate your case and let you know the actual worth of your claim. In fact, there are many factors that contribute to the actual value of a truck accident claim.
Is There A Deadline For Filing A Claim In Florida?
Yes, you have 4 years to file an injury lawsuit after a truck accident in Florida. This is called the statute of limitations.
How Is Fault In A Truck Accident Determined?
Negligence law states that there are four basic law elements to be proved in order to determine fault in a trucking accident in Florida. Here are the 4 basic law elements that your lawyer should prove:
- The existence of a duty of care by the responsible party
- The defendant or at-fault party breached this duty of care
- The accident was caused due to this breach of duty of care
- The plaintiff was injured as a direct result of the accident and not due to anything else
Can A Lawyer Prove The Truck Driver Was Negligent?
Yes, a good personal injury lawyer can prove the truck driver’s negligence and help you obtain maximum compensation for your injuries. The truck accident lawyers at Steinberg Law have handled hundreds of negligence cases in the past and won millions of dollars in compensation on behalf of their clients.
Who Can be Held Liable In A Trucking Accident In Florida?
There is more than one party that can be held responsible for a trucking accident in Boca Raton FL:
- The truck driver is the main party involved in the accident.
- If the trucking company didn’t maintain the vehicle properly and the accident was caused as a result of their negligence, they can also be held responsible for the accident.
- If the company that loads the truck overloaded the vehicle with cargo, they can also be held responsible for the accident.
- If the accident was caused due to a malfunctioning part/parts of the truck, the vehicle or parts manufacturer can also be held responsible for the accident.
Common Causes Of Truck Accidents
There can be numerous causes of trucking accidents in Boca Raton FL. Here are some of the most common causes of trucking accidents in Florida:
- Distracted driving – the driver texts or calls while operating the truck
- Intoxication – the driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol while operating the vehicle
- Driver fatigue due to working long hours
- Reckless or careless driving
- Poor training and inexperienced drivers
- Poor road conditions and lack of truck maintenance
- Oversized or improperly secured freight
- Equipment malfunction
Call Our Truck Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton Today!
When you or someone in your family is injured as a result of a trucking accident in Boca Raton, FL, you are entitled to claim maximum compensation for your injuries. The experienced personal injury lawyers at Steinberg Law can help prove the negligence of the other party and obtain maximum compensation for your injuries. Call Steinberg Law in Boca Raton today at 877-783-4611 to discuss your legal options and obtain the maximum compensation for your injuries.