Delray Beach Drunk Driving Accident Attorney

Home » Delray Beach Personal Injury » Delray Beach Car Accident Attorney » Delray Beach Drunk Driving Accident Attorney

Car accidents often leave victims dealing with serious injuries, medical bills, and lost income. If you are in an accident involving a driver using alcohol or drugs, then you need to hire a skilled Delray Beach drunk driving accident attorney to handle your case and fight for the compensation you deserve.

At Steinberg Law, we take pride in our dedication to offering skilled, smart, and passionate legal representation. Our Delray Beach car accident lawyers treat each and every client’s case as if it is the most important. You can count on us to fight for your rights.

Call 877-783-4611 today for a free consultation!

Table of Contents

Palm Beach County Drunk Driving Statistics

On average, Palm Beach County Florida sees approximately 200 car-accident-related deaths per year. Roughly one-third of these involve a driver who has been drinking and would be considered legally impaired. While more of these are in West Palm Beach, Delray Beach also gets its fair share.

Keep in mind that in all of Palm Beach County there are over two thousand convictions for driving under the influence every year, and those are just the impaired drivers who were actually caught by law enforcement.

Even if you follow all traffic laws and drive safely, you could still be injured because of the actions of a drunk driver. If you find yourself hit by a drunk or drug-impaired driver, you need to make sure your legal rights are protected. You should not be paying for their negligence.

If you find yourself in this situation, please contact a Delray Beach drunk driving accident attorney at Steinberg Law at 877-783-4611 so we can get you set up with a free initial consultation to talk about your case. We will be there to fight for your rights in court.

What Are the BAC Limits in Florida?

In the state of Florida .08 is the legal BAC (blood alcohol content). Anything above this is legally considered drunk driving and can (and likely will) lead to a DUI arrest. Even if a driver passes field sobriety tests, a BAC over .08 will result in a drunk driving charge.

While .08 is the line where anyone is considered legally intoxicated, there are situations where a lower BAC can also lead to a DUI arrest. Florida has a “Zero Tolerance Law” for drivers under 21 years old. Since anyone under 21 can’t legally drink, any amount of alcohol is automatically a DUI in this situation.

What Should I Do After an Accident?

The first step is to stay at the scene of the accident. Leaving the scene of an accident is illegal. You should check to see if you, the other driver(s), or any passengers are hurt. It’s important to know what type of shape everyone is in so you can call 911 for an ambulance if needed.

Treat any injuries if you have first aid training. You should call the police and report the accident.

While you are waiting for the police to arrive, you want to collect as much information as you can. Get the name, license plate number, contact information, and insurance details of the driver. You should take pictures and/or videos of the accident scene, the vehicles, and any visible injuries.

Be sure to get a copy of the police report. The police report and the evidence you collect at the scene will make it easier for your Delray Beach drunk driving accident lawyer to recover the compensation you deserve.

Finally, make sure to report the accident to your insurance company and call an experienced car accident attorney.

A drunk driver, concept of drunk driving accident attorney in Delray Beach

What Damages Can You Recover After a Drunk Driving Accident in Florida?

If you are the victim of a drunk driving accident in Delray Beach, there are three types of damage you can pursue.

Economic Damages

The first category is economic damages. These are compensation for financial losses that can be directly tied to the accident. Examples include hospital bills, the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle, and lost wages from missing days, weeks, or even months of work.

Non-Economic Damages

Non-economic damages are compensation for intangible losses whose value can’t be calculated with bills and receipts. These legal damages are meant to make up for pain and suffering, mental distress, disability, etc.

Punitive Damages

Finally, there are punitive damages. The court may award these damages as punishment for especially negligent behavior like drunk driving. Florida has put a cap on punitive damages at three times the amount of compensatory damages or $500,000, whichever is greater.

How Long Do I Have to File a Claim in Florida?

Under Florida state law, an individual who was the victim of a drunk driving accident has a maximum of four years from the date of the accident to file a claim. There are certain circumstances where the deadline may be different.

While four years may seem like a long time, you need to contact a drunk driving accident attorney in Delray Beach as soon as possible. This helps us to prepare a stronger case since finding witnesses, interviewing them, and getting evidence are easier closer to the time of the accident than years after the fact.

How Much Will a Delray Beach Drunk Driving Accident Attorney Cost?

We handle car accident claims on a contingency basis. This means that you don’t have to pay any upfront fees to benefit from our services. We only get paid if we win your case. If we lose, we are not paid anything.

You can contact Steinberg Law at 877-783-4611 to schedule a free initial consultation. We will be happy to explain how our contingency fee works in the initial meeting.

Contact Steinberg Law Today!

If you are the victim of a drunk driving accident, you need a skilled lawyer on your side to fight for your rights in court. At Steinberg Law, our skilled, helpful, and experienced lawyers have helped many victims of drunk driving accidents in Delray Beach and Palm Beach County.

Contact us today at 877-783-4611. We’re eager to hear from you and to show you how we can help you get the full compensation you deserve.