Data from the CDC shows that roughly 170 Americans die from traumatic brain injuries and more than 200,000 people are hospitalized after such injuries. Treatment and recovery are costly and lengthy. It leaves victims and their families struggling financially and in other areas of their lives.
You can file for compensation to recover losses associated with traumatic brain injuries attributed to another party’s negligent actions. A Delray Beach personal injury lawyer can work with your physician and other medical experts to determine how your injuries impact your life.
Call Steinberg Law today at 877-783-4611 for a free consultation with a reputable and experienced traumatic brain injury lawyer in Delray Beach, FL. We will fight for the compensation you deserve.
How Do I Know I Have a Brain Injury?
It is prudent to point out that some of the signs are mild while others are severe. Still, even subtle symptoms like nausea, change of smell/taste, and mild headaches can worsen if not addressed early. Some of these symptoms can develop hours, days, or weeks after an accident.
You should always consult a doctor after an accident.
What Are the Leading Causes of Traumatic Brain Injury?
A person can be the unfortunate victim of a traumatic brain injury when doing mundane things like walking in the street, working in the office, or driving. To claim compensation, there must be evidence of willful aggression or negligent or reckless conduct by the party at fault.
While many kinds of accidents can lead to a TBI, the CDC reports the following are the most common causes of traumatic brain injury:
- Traffic accidents like car wrecks, truck accidents, motorcycle crashes, etc
- Injuries from firearms
- Violence like domestic abuse and assault
What Are the Types of Brain Injuries?
Doctors and medical experts develop a treatment and recovery plan depending on the type and extent of brain injury. Different parties could be liable depending on how a brain injury occurred. Our Delray Beach traumatic brain injury lawyers have encountered various types of brain injuries when representing clients.
Brain injuries fall into five categories.
- Closed Injury – The brain sustains damage even though the skull has not been penetrated. This can happen from a blow to the head.
- Open Injury – It is a penetrating head injury where the skull is pierced by an object that also reaches and damages the brain.
- Toxic or Chemical Injury – The injury is associated with exposure to hazardous substances like lead, toxic chemicals, gases, and dangerous products like pesticides.
- Deceleration Injury – This occurs when momentum causes the brain to slam against the skull. It’s most often seen in car accidents.
- Hypoxia – Brain damage can be caused by oxygen deprivation due to a stroke, heart attack, or near drowning.
The Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injury
TBI symptoms can vary in severity depending on the type of damage. However, even mild symptoms shouldn’t be ignored.
The following are some of the symptoms of a traumatic brain injury:
- Speech problems
- Vision problems
- Hearing issue
- Involuntary twitching
- Loss of balance
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sleep problems
- Trouble concentrating
- Changes in taste and smell
- Memory loss
Why Is It Important to See a Doctor After a Head Injury?
Open injuries where the skull is damaged can be worrying and considered to include some degree of brain trauma. Symptoms of a TBI can manifest days or weeks after the accident, and this might be too late to treat the issue. Hence, it is best to see a doctor for comprehensive testing and diagnosis if hit on the head.
It’s also critical to have medical records that show the cause and extent of your injury when making a claim for compensation.
Why Should I Hire a Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer in Delray Beach?
A brain injury can be life-changing and treatment can be a financial nightmare, especially if the injuries are severe. Victims can file a claim seeking compensation if the injury was caused by another party’s reckless, malicious, or negligent actions.
Consider working with an experienced traumatic brain injury lawyer in Delray Beach, Florida, if you want the maximum compensation. The benefits of hiring an attorney from Steinberg Law to represent you include:
- You get a seasoned professional who fights aggressively for your rights.
- We conduct thorough investigations and collect the evidence needed to build a strong case.
- We oversee negotiations with insurers on your behalf to ensure you get a fair settlement.
- We have the expertise to fight for you in a trial if a settlement agreement isn’t reached.
- Our team handles all legal aspects of your claim, so you can focus on your recovery.
Can Insurance Companies Obtain My Past Medical Records?
Insurance companies do need to confirm that you have actually suffered the injuries you are seeking reimbursement for, which means that they do require some access to your medical record. Still, you have to give written consent for them to access your records.
To ensure that insurance companies only have access to medical records relevant to your current situation, it is advisable to hire a skilled Delray Beach brain injury lawyer.
What Will Happen If the Insurance Company Refuses to Pay My Medical Bills?
A Delray Beach brain injury lawyer can help people take legal action against their insurance providers if they refuse to pay their medical bills for an unfair reason. At Steinberg Law, we are ready to help you appeal the claim denial with the insurance company and fight for you in court if needed.
What Compensation Can I Receive for My Brain Injury?
According to Florida state laws regarding personal injury compensations, victims are entitled to reimbursement for losses incurred because of injuries caused by another party’s recklessness, negligence, or malicious actions.
The compensation is a financial reprieve meant to help the claimant regain some normalcy after the accident.
Our TBI attorneys can help you recover damages related to:
- All medical (past, current, and future), including expenses for prescription drugs and doctor visits.
- Lost income due to missing work.
- Loss of future earnings and benefits if you are left unable to perform your job.
- Funeral and burial costs the family incurred if the injuries resulted in wrongful death.
- Non-financial losses and harm like physical pain, disability, loss of enjoyment of life, and more.
Are There Time Limits for Filing a TBI Claim in Florida?
Florida’s statute of limitations gives personal injury victims 4 years from the date of an accident that to file a lawsuit. Families must file a wrongful death lawsuit within 2 years of losing a loved one. You risk losing your chance to file a lawsuit if you fail to meet the deadline.
The sooner you come to us for counsel and start the legal process, the better your chances of securing your right to claim compensation for the brain injury.
Get in Touch Today to Hire The Best TBI Attorney in Delray Beach!
A brain injury can have a lasting impact on your health and ability to lead a productive life. Treatment and recovery are costly and lengthy. Victims and their families are left struggling financially and in other areas of their lives. TBI cases are complex.
Working with a traumatic brain injury lawyer at Steinberg Law is your best choice if you want to receive maximum compensation. We offer unrivaled counsel and top-notch representation. We treat every client with personalized attention. Plus, you only pay us once we secure compensation in your case.