Motorcycle accident crashes have been increasing in Florida over the years. They account for about 8% of all traffic fatalities in the State. It’s not mandatory to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle in Florida unless you are below 21 years of age. This could be one reason for the increase in motorcycle accidents in the state. On the other hand, a motorcycle doesn’t have the surrounding protective structure that most other vehicles have. If you or someone in your family has been injured as a result of a motorcycle accident in West Palm Beach, Florida, you are entitled to claim maximum compensation for your injuries.
There are dozens of personal injury law firms in West Palm Beach, Florida. But all of these law firms are not top-notch. You should be doing your homework properly before hiring a reliable and experienced candidate to represent your injury claim. When you are looking for the best auto accident lawyers in West Palm Beach, you don’t have to look further than Steinberg Law. We are your trusted partner in town to handle your case and get you the maximum amount of compensation that you rightly deserve. Call 877-783-4611 for a free initial consultation with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in West Palm Beach at Steinberg Law in West Palm Beach, FL!
How Can A Motorcycle Accident Attorney Help With My Compensation Claim?
If you think that you can file your own claim and obtain maximum compensation for your injuries, you are mistaken. A motorcycle accident is far more difficult to prove compared to other auto accidents. On the other hand, most insurance companies categorize motorcycle riders as reckless and accident-prone. The insurance providers will try their best to pay you as little compensation as possible or deny your claim completely. That’s why you need to work with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in town to file a strong claim and obtain the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries.
Motorcycle accidents are always serious. They may lead to life-threatening injuries and fatalities in extreme cases. Unfortunately, motorcycle accident victims and their families are at a clear disadvantage when it comes to bringing a compensation claim. Evidence may be difficult to gather and insurance companies will try their best to avoid paying your rightful compensation. That’s why you need to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer at Steinberg Law in order to build a strong case and obtain maximum compensation for your injuries. Here is how an experienced personal injury lawyer can help with your compensation claim:
- Our lawyers will collect evidence by interviewing eyewitnesses and reconstructing the accident scene. In fact, photos, witness statements, and information from the at-fault party are essential if you decide to take legal action against the defendant.
- Proving negligence is an important part of winning your case and getting adequately compensated for your injuries. Our lawyers have the necessary expertise to determine who is liable for your injuries and damages.
- We will negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance company to get you the maximum amount of compensation that you rightly deserve.
- In case the insurance company tries to deny your claim or pay the minimum amount of compensation, we will take your case to trial. We have the necessary trial experience to do justice to your case and obtain the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries.
What Are Some Of The Most Common Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents In West Palm Beach, FL?
Motorcycle crashes are both preventable and avoidable. In fact, motorcycle riders are more likely to experience fatal injuries in case of an accident. The lack of surrounding structure in a motorcycle is a clear disadvantage to the rider. Here are some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in West Palm Beach, FL:
- Cars that turn left, ignoring the motorcycle rider just behind the vehicle
- Riding after using drugs or alcohol
- Lane splitting and unsafe lane changing
- Head-on collisions
- Poor road conditions and other hazards on the roads
- Speeding and tailgating
- Distracted driving, texting, or calling while riding the motorcycle
- Inexperienced riders
- Defects in the motorcycle
Motorcycle Accident Statistics In Florida
Florida is a state with one of the highest statistics of motorcycle crashes and fatalities. There could be many reasons for this, but one of the main reasons is Florida’s helmet law. In fact, in Florida, wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle is optional unless you are below 21 years of age. There were 8995 motorcycle crashes and 550 fatalities in 2019 while the fatalities slightly increased to 552 in 2020. The number of crashes was 8045 the same year.
Motorcycle-Specific Laws In The State Of Florida
- You cannot ride a motorcycle without your driving license. In fact, you should obtain a motorcycle license once you reach the age of 16. It should be added to your license for you to operate a motorcycle in Florida. You have to get through the Basic Rider Course conducted by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation for this purpose.
- Lane splitting is prohibited in the state of Florida.
- If you are below 21 years of age, you should wear an approved helmet when riding a motorcycle. Once you become 21, the helmet is optional. But if you decide to not wear a helmet, you should have liability insurance with at least $10,000 in medical benefits coverage.
- Only two motorcycles can ride abreast on the road.
- You should put the headlights of the motorcycle on whenever you decide to ride it.
- Protective eyewear is mandatory in Florida. All riders should wear protective eyewear when riding a motorcycle.
- If you listen to a mobile device while riding, it should not obstruct your hearing.
Common Injuries Seen In Motorcycle Accidents In Florida
Motorcycles are almost less stable and less visible than other vehicles on the road. On the other hand, motorcycles don’t have a protective structure similar to cars and other heavy vehicles. Hence, a motorcycle crash can be devastating most of the time. Here are the common motorcycle accident injuries observed in the state of Florida:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones and amputated limbs
- Damages to internal organs and internal injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Road rash and skin abrasions
- Facial disfigurement
How Is Fault Determined In A Motorcycle Accident In Florida?
Florida’s personal injury legal system is known as pure comparative fault, which means you can obtain compensation even if you are partly to blame for the accident. For example, if you were 30% and the other driver 70% responsible for the accident, you can claim up to 70% of the total compensation determined by the jury. But there are four important points to prove in order to obtain maximum compensation for your injuries such as:
- The defendant has an obligation to safely maneuver his/her vehicle and guarantee the safety of other road users.
- The defendant breached his or her duty of care by maneuvering his/her vehicle carelessly or recklessly.
- The accident occurred as a result of this breach.
- You were injured as a result of the accident and not due to any other reason.
What Type Of Compensation Could I Receive For My Motorcycle Accident In Florida?
The seriousness of your injuries and many other factors surrounding your case can have an impact on the type of compensation you could claim. You are entitled to one or more of the following types of compensation:
- Lost wages – You are entitled to claim lost wages in the form of past and future wages, vacation, sick time, bonuses, and other perks that you lost due to missing work as a result of your injuries.
- Medical expenses – You can claim past and future medical expenses in the form of doctor visits, medications, physical therapy, surgery, and mental health treatments.
- Pain and suffering – You may suffer long-term psychological and physical trauma as a result of your injuries. Your lawyer knows how to value this portion of your claim.
- Punitive damages – This type of compensation isn’t meant to compensate you for your injuries but the defendant for his/her reckless behavior. It will deter other drivers from behaving in the same way.
Why Was My Motorcycle Accident Claim Denied?
There are a few reasons your insurance company may deny your claim:
- The other driver was not insured under the policy
- The other driver’s policy was lapsed or canceled
- The insurance company believes the accident was your fault
- The insurance company doesn’t believe you were really hurt
- The insurance company doesn’t believe the injuries were caused as a result of the accident
Are There Time Limits To File a Claim In Florida?
You should file the claim within four years from the date of the accident. This is called the statute of limitations and cannot be avoided. Talk to a motorcycle accident lawyer in West Palm Beach for help today.
Call A Motorcycle Accident Lawyer In West Palm Beach
If you have been injured as a result of a motorcycle accident in West Palm Beach, FL, you are entitled to claim maximum compensation for your injuries. But you need to hire the best personal injury lawyer in town to handle your claim. Steinberg Law is your trusted personal injury law firm to file a strong case and obtain maximum compensation for your injuries. Call 877-783-4611 for a free initial consultation with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer at Steinberg Law in West Palm Beach, FL!